Nowadays, it’s essential to control the exchange of information between your smartphones and the internet, especially when your mobile phone plays roles in carrying out banking transactions, paying bills, online shopping, etc. Hackers can get inside and steal information such as bank account numbers and passwords from your device. Smart users, who use their phone for the financial transaction must use a security tool. Well, you can easily protect it by enabling the firewall at your smartphone.
Now what does it mean and how it works, a firewall basically provides you a level of control on the apps accessing the background data, you will be able to control the accessibility of internet by the applications installed in your Android phone. Isn’t it cool?
A firewall, as the name says itself, acts as a wall that monitors the traffic between your device and the internet, it will filter and block suspicious data from passing through.
The common thing with firewalls is you have to enable root access on your phones, but with NetGuard Android firewall, you get the liberty not to root your phone and avail all the features which a rooted Android firewall provides.
But one thing which every user needs to know is that the NetGuard solve the need to root by creating a VPN gateway, which is indicated by a key icon at the top of your phone’s UI and the device is also applicable to work on rooted devices too.
NetGuard v2.216 stable APK
NetGuard 2.216 stable is a no root firewall which funnel all your traffic across its created VPN, but the most exciting part of this app is it lets you choose which app can access the internet only over Wi-Fi, just over 4G/Data, neither or both. You can allow or deny the internet usage by an application using the icons along the right side of the NetGuard’s application list with color attributions being Allow (greenish*) or deny (reddish*) Wi-Fi or mobile internet access.
Advantages of NetGuard Firewall
Ever wondered how restricting the access to the internet individually by your applications helps other than providing you internet security? Well, it has several other benefits you aren’t aware of, they are:
Conserve your data: By disallowing apps consuming the background data, this app reduces the data usage to a much greater extent.
Optimize your Battery life: By blocking some of your apps that regularly get an update and through notification while you are using your phone.
Increase your Privacy: No malicious attempt can be made by any hacker to steal your personal information or passwords.
Features of NetGuard
The app comes with all the features that a rooted firewall offers, in fact, it is the only no-root firewall showcasing all these features.
- Simple to use
- No root required
- 100% open source
- No calling home
- Actively developed and supported
- No tracking or analytics
- Supports Android 5.1 and above
- No advertisements
- IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
- Tethering supported
- Allow when the screen is on (optional)
- Block when roaming (optional)
- Block system applications (optional)
- Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
- Notify when an application accesses the internet
- Record network usage per application per address
- Block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
- The material design theme with a light and dark theme
- Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
- Allow/block individual addresses per application
- New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
- Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
- Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version
Enabling and Using Net Guard
After installing the app, do enable the NetGuard which is disabled by default using the switch at the top right of NetGuard’s action bar.
Allow (greenish*) or deny (reddish*) Wi-Fi or mobile internet access using the icons next to an application name in NetGuard’s applications list. (As explained above)
Now depending upon the theme you are using, the icons will display like:
- red/orange/yellow/amber= internet access is denied
- teal/blue/purple/grey= internet access is allowed
Which Android OS supports NetGuard?
The minimum required android version is 5.1 (Lollipop) and above.
Since NetGuard is a no root firewall, it operates using a VPN which can only be used by the app itself. Android doesn’t allow changing VPN or using two VPN at the same time. So in case if you have a VPN based app installed, stop the app and let NetGuard use the VPN network required for its functioning.
Download NetGuard v2.216 APK
You can download the APK file of NetGuard v2.216 from the link given below:
How to install NetGuard v2.216 on your phone
Below are the steps to install the NetGuard v2.216 APK for Android using a file manager in Android phones. Note them carefully!
- Download the APK file in your PC or laptop. We would prefer calling the file as NetGuard v2.216 APK over here for now. If you download it directly on your phone, it will be in the folder named ‘downloads’ in your internal storage.
- Now, download the ES File Manager from the Play Store on your phone. It’s totally up to you as you may use any other file manager as well.
- Next, in your phone, go to Settings option, then go to the Applications, enable the “Unknown sources” box. Tap ‘OK” to the warning that pops up on your screen. OR For Android 4.0+ users: Go to Settings option, then select Security. Now, scroll down and enable the“Unknown sources” box. Tap ‘OK” to the warning that pops up on the screen.
- Now, you need to connect your phone to your computer or laptop and transfer the NetGuard v2.216 APK file anywhere either to your SD card or to your phone memory.
- Now, disconnect it from the PC and then navigate through the app to your directory where you have transferred the APK.
- Tap on the NetGuard v2.216 APK file. You will see a properties popup.
- Now, tap on the Install button. Select Package installer. You shall now move to the Android installation interface where you would come across the permissions required for the app. Tap on the ‘Install’ button again in order to begin the installation.
That’s it! You have successfully installed the new NetGuard v2.216 for Android app on your phone! Now you should find it on the app drawer of your phone.